Here are some fun facts about this wonderful holiday that centers around fun and candy!
- The first Jack O’ Lanterns were made from turnips?
- Samhainophobia is the fear of Halloween.
- Halloween was influenced by the ancient Roman festival Pomona, which celebrated the harvest goddess of the same name. Many Halloween customs and games that feature apples (such as bobbing for apples).
- Halloween used to be a great night for finding your romantic partner. In some parts of Ireland people played romantic fortune-telling games, such as bobbing for apples, where it was believed these activities could predict future romances.
- Some shelters use to not allow black cats to be adopted around Halloween, as it was feared malevolent people would adopt them and harm because of superstition. Now, some shelters will put on adoption specials for black cats. Pssst: Black cats are the most puuuurrfect companions — I have one myself!
- Since the movie Halloween was produced on such a low budget, the cheapest mask that the prop department could find for serial killer Michael Myers was a mask of William Shatner, which costed $2. A little bit of spray paint and viola! The slasher brought in $70 million worldwide with a budget of $325,000.
- Historically, those who celebrated Halloween (or Samhain in Celtic times) did so by dressing in animal skins and heads to connect with the dead.