As the threat of the apocalypse looms it is of the utmost importance that you prepare yourself. You, and each of your loved ones, should have a bug-out bag on hand and well stocked. As important as that bag of Oreos may seem at the moment, this is one such item that may result in your death. In the days following the beginning of Ragnarok it becomes a matter of kill or be killed. No one wants to die over a bag of Oreos even if they are double stuff. Here are seven essentials that should not be left out of any bug-out bag.
1. Merino Wool Underwear. You don’t know what access to laundry facilities will be like once the apocalypse begins, this underwear is lightweight, breathable, moisture wicking, and most importantly, not itchy. Stuff a couple of pairs in your bag. A pair for wearing and a pair for washing, all you will need when you are on the run or in hiding.
2. Iodine Tablets and Iodine Tincture. Should there be nuclear fallout, Iodine tablets can be used to protect the thyroid from radioactive iodine. Iodine tincture can be used to purify water prior to consumption.
3. A Flint and Steel. You never know when you will need to start a fire.
4. Space Blankets. These are tiny and compact. Of the utmost importance, should the apocalypse occur during the winter months. Or if it is too dangerous to use your flint and steel to light a fire.
5. A LifeStraw. With the original you can convert up to 1,000 liters of contaminated drinking water into clean and consumable water.
6. Knives. You don’t have to reload them.
7.A Seven Year Pen. This pen will write up to 1.4 meters a day for seven years. Now you can ensure you will have enough ink to keep up with your daily log for 2,555 days. Let’s hope the apocalypse doesn’t last that long.
You are now prepared for the apocalypse and all that it may bring. If you are particularly cynical you may want to pack some cyanide tablets. Just in case.
Republished from The Swill print edition, Volume 107, Issue 27, March 28, 2017.