Curve Gallery Honours Brandon University's History

The John E. Robbins library, home to the Tommy McLeod Gallery. (Krista Murray/The Quill)

Dynamic growth and transformative plans have been part of the Brandon University campus map (former Brandon College) since its inception in 1889. The Tommy McLeod Gallery’s latest exhibition, called Foundations Under Brandon University: A Campus Retrospective consists of various photographs, both in color and black and white, sketches, and Campus Master Plans chronicling the heritage of the site and its continuing evolution. Exploring changed and expanding architecture alongside the physical footprints left by our community that make the foundation of our campus, the exhibition provides an excellent insight into BU’s history, and also that of the community that studied, worked and dwelled within it. The opening of this exhibition is also intertwined with Brandon University’s 50th anniversary since it changed from Brandon College. This ambitious era is marked with the constructions of the John R. Brodie Science Center, McMaster Hall, and the Westman Centennial Auditorium amongst many of our most remarkable buildings. Also for viewing are the future campus development plans in downtown Brandon.

Funding was provided by the Head Librarian of the University, Betty Braaksma, and the pieces in the exhibition come from various artists and private collections. The exhibit was curated by BU archivist Christy Henry, and Suyoko Tsukamoto. Foundations Under Brandon University: A Campus Retrospective will be on display until the end of April 2018. The Tommy McLeod Curve Gallery is located on the second floor of BU’s John E. Robbins Library, and is free to the public during regular library hours.